Rooftop Bars in Rome

Last updated on July 26th, 2018 at 09:51 pm

There are few things I enjoy more than a cool glass of prosecco on a rooftop bar in Rome.

While the small streets of the city can feel chaotic when you need to pass through the city, they seem quaint and enchanting from above. Plus, it is only from a rooftop that you can truly admire the many layered domes and terraces of Rome.

Rome has amazing weather for most of the year, but some terraces are only open seasonally. Make the most of the season and check out these rooftops:

Hotel RaphaelThe intimate terrace atop Hotel Raphael is one of the loveliest rooftop bars in Rome. Located near Piazza Navona, you can see duomo after duomo, as well as the unmistakable curved top of the Pantheon. Not only does Hotel Raphael have a view that makes it the perfect perch for an evening of relaxation, it also has an all vegetarian menu if you would like to stay for dinner. The only draw back of Hotel Raphael’s terrazza is that it is rather expensive for a drink. (A Mimosa is listed on the menu for €22). Instead, call ahead to ensure that the terrace is open (+39 06 682831) and then opt for a bottle of Prosecco once you are settled into your seats.

Hotel Indigo Rome – St. George: High above Via Giulia, one of Rome’s most exclusive streets, the rooftop bar at Hotel Indigo Rome- St. George offers gorgeous 360-degree views of the city. From the secluded terrace, you can see St. Peter’s dome, Castel Sant’Angelo and the unmistakable top of the Vittoriano. Stop in for an aperitivo (happy hour) drink and claim a spot on the white couches to take in the incredible vistas and nibble on savory snacks.  The deal is even sweeter in summer when a live jazz band sets up on the 6th-floor bar every Thursday – Sunday. The terrace also has restaurant seating if you would like to stay for a meal.

The First Luxury Art Hotel: Between Piazza di Spagna and Piazza del Popolo is The First Luxury Art Hotel Roma. Filled with works from (primarily) Italian artists, the boutique hotel has 29 art-inspired rooms. But the best feature of the hotel is its stunning two-level rooftop bar that looks out over Rome towards the Spanish Steps. The 360-degree view of Rome is dotted with church domes and is the perfect place to watch a Roman sunset with a cocktail in hand. The cocktails go beyond the classics, offering drinks like Italy 150 (citrus, limoncello, and prosecco) and spritztino (vermouth bianco with fresh mint and soda water). Cocktails cost a pretty penny at €18-20 a piece, but a glass of wine is €12.  Stop in at aperitivo time (about 7-9 pm), for a free plate of fancy little bites to go alongside your drink of choice.

rooftop bar in Rome

Hotel Forum: Overlooking the Roman Forum, the American Bar at Hotel Forum offers gorgeous views of ancient Rome. The rooftop bar offers cocktails, beer, and wine, awe well as aged whiskeys, rums and a wide choice of grappas.  You can also opt for a coffee if you prefer, but you will probably want to linger a while longer over the view. The American bar is open every day from March to October from 5 pm until late in the evening. The rooftop terrace bar is open to all hotel guests as well as the general public, so don’t worry about dropping in. There is also a restaurant if you would like to stay for a meal.

Hotel Minerva: We regularly take visitors to Hotel Minerva to enjoy the view from their rooftop overlooking the Pantheon and Bernini’s Elephant statue. The other side of the terrace, closest to the bar, offers sweeping views of Roman rooftops out towards the Vittoriano. Grab two barstools in this quieter corner, and order a bottle of Prosecco (beer and wine by the glass tend to be expensive so make it worth your while with a whole bottle).  This is one of the largest rooftop bars in Rome so while it is less private, it is still stunning. Simply walk straight through the lobby of Hotel Minerva, take the elevator to the top floor and follow the signs.

fortyseven: The bar at the boutique fortyseven hotel is one of the quieter rooftop bars in Rome. Called Circus because it is just around the corner from Circus Maximus, the terrace bar has views of Tiber river, and looks out directly over the Temple of Hercules Victor, across from the Mouth of Truth. Because the hotel sits on the less visited side of the Centro Storico, it tends to be a more relaxed (but still 4-star) experience than some of the other rooftop bars in Rome. It is open March through December, from 12 pm until 11:30 pm.

Rome rooftop bar near circus maximus

Hotel Eden: Re-opening in April 2017 after a renovation, Hotel Eden remains one of the best luxury hotels in Rome. Located just off the iconic Via Veneto, the bar area is open all day and offers stunning panoramic views of Rome. Stop in for a coffee in the morning and a signature cocktail in the evening to watch the light change. If you want an even more upscale experience, the hotel is also home to La Terrazza – a Michelin starred restaurant with similarly gorgeous views of the city.

Eitch Borromini: Opening to the public for the first time in 2017, Eitch Borromini’s La Grande Bellezza terrace is likely Rome’s best rooftop bar. The stunning rooftop is located in a wing of Palazzo Pamphilj which overlooks Piazza Navona. The bar has 360-degree views of Rome and reasonable prices considering the setting. Reservations are essential.

Mecenate Palace Hotel: The Roof Garden at Mecenate Palace looks directly over Santa Maria Maggiore – one of the major Roman Basilicas.  Located on the top of Esquilino hill, the garden is one of the few rooftop bars in Rome that still feels slightly undiscovered.

Do you have any other favorite rooftop bars in Rome? Because I can always make time for another drink and amazing views.

If you’re looking for even more recommendations like these, they can all be found (with offline maps) on the Discover Rome app.

• Reply Tony Staffaroni July 10, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Check out Albergo Cesari near the Pantheon if you have not been!

• Reply Natalie July 10, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Thank you for the tip – I will have to try it!

• Reply DMae July 10, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Have you been to the Terrazza Borromini at the Eitch Borromini hotel?

I have heard the views are wonderful here, but know nothing about them.

• Reply Natalie July 10, 2017 at 6:19 pm

I got a sneak peek at the end of April when they were still preparing to open so I haven’t been back to try it properly yet. The views are some of the best – and overlook Piazza Navona. It seems that is another for which booking ahead is essential.

• Reply J. March 2, 2018 at 11:12 am

I went to their website a few days ago after reading your comment and was really put off after I read their description of the terrace: “The elegant rooftop of Hotel Eitch Borromini, nicknamed by our most affluent customers: ‘La Grande Bellezza’, …” Ouch. “Our most affluent”? Somehow that felt a bit awkward. I thought: This must be one of those instances of Italians translating badly from English. And, sadly, they aren’t really known for their English-speaking skills. Then today I checked their Italian version of the page, and voilà: “La terrazza più alta di Palazzo Pamphilj è stata rinominata da alcuni dei nostri più affezionati clienti ‘La grande bellezza’.” They translated affezionati as affluent! LOL! Oh, dear. Affezionato is, of course, affectionate, but it would need some other word here, I think, to convey the meaning they meant to convey. Sombody need to write them an e-mail about this.

• Reply Natalie March 5, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Ah! You are so right! They do have a list that you need to call to be placed on – but I otherwise find it fairly attitude free and one of the more affordable rooftop bars in the center.

• Reply Thea Prando July 25, 2017 at 2:32 pm

So I’ve been to one of the places on the list (bravo Bob for taking me). Six more to go, what a great to do list to look forward to!

• Reply Natalie July 25, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Seriously my favorite thing to do in Rome — trying a new one on Thursday. Happy rooftop hunting 🙂

• Reply Matt March 15, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Take me with you, I am looking for a rooftop co hunter!

• Reply Natalie March 15, 2018 at 5:36 pm

It is the best kind of research!

• Reply calebcrawford August 25, 2017 at 3:48 am

The cafe on top of the Castel Sant’Angelo. Only during the day, but great for cappucini in the morning or a glass of wine!

• Reply Natalie August 25, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Good suggestion! The Capitoline Museums also have a nice terrace.

• Reply It's the Weekend, What Do You Have Planned? - Robyn Woodman August 25, 2017 at 12:53 pm

[…] Bookmark this post and this site. She has all sorts of advice. The Roman kind. […]

• Reply Lauren October 8, 2017 at 6:17 am

We went to Terrazza Borromini on our last night in Rome when we were unable to get into Hotel Raphael w/o a reso – it was beyond perfect! 360 views and not yet known enough to have a wait.

• Reply Natalie October 9, 2017 at 7:56 am

YES! Definitely my new favorite rooftop in Rome.

• Reply Ernst November 5, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Hi Natalie

Thanks for all your tips. Which bar would you recommend for late December? Are there any bars with outdoor heating lamps / that are protected from the cold (or even inside) without losing the essence of why we’re there: the view?

Regards

Ernst

• Reply J. February 19, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Thank you for these great suggestions! One of my favourite pastimes is scanning the satellite and bird’s-eye–view imagery of Rome, both on Google Maps and Bing, for new rooftops. And I do find quite a lot of them, but often also end up in a dead-end alley: no information or little information or “I can’t tell how reliable this information is or what that is: a bar, a restaurant, or a private terrace”. My dream would be to visit the rooftop terrace of Hotel Sofitel, next to Villa Borghese. Then today I found out that there is a nearby Hotel Victoria with a terrace, but I can’t establish how good the views are. In that same neighbourhood, for example, and speaking of inconclusive information, there is a building on the corner of Via di Porta Pinciana and Via Aurora: I wonder if what I see there is a “visitable” terrace. Of course, the same neighbourhood has the Eden and Splendide Royal with their famous rooftops.

• Reply J. February 19, 2018 at 2:46 pm

P. S. I don’t know if you already did, and now I will check it out, but I’d love it if you could write a post about the places with panoramic views of Rome: Janiculum, Giardino degli Aranci, roof of the Vittoriano, Belvedere Niccolò Scatoli in front of Fontana dell’Acqua Paola, Terrazza Viale del Belvedere near Casina Valadier, Piazza delle Muse in Parioli, Monte Mario. Speaking of Parioli… I wonder if there is a nice view of the city from Villa Balestra.

• Reply Natalie February 20, 2018 at 10:52 am

Hi J! I am indeed planning this post – but I think you just wrote it for me 🙂 FANTASTIC suggestions!

• Reply Natalie February 20, 2018 at 10:52 am

Oh la la – I think I need to go scout this out for myself because I have not been to some of these.

• Reply J. March 2, 2018 at 10:47 am

Yippie, Natalie! So glad you liked the suggestions! Thank you so much for this wonderful website. I adore it. Soon it will be spring and those rooftops and panorama points will provide some mozzafiatio views. 😀

• Reply J. March 2, 2018 at 10:47 am

Woops: I meant to write mozzafiato. Lapsus calami.

• Reply J. March 16, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Grand Hotel Plaza has, I think, two terraces.

• Reply Margaux Sallet June 2, 2018 at 10:30 am

Hi! Which Rooftop bar would you recommend for an aperitivo ? I’m in Rome tonight with 3 friends, we’ee all students so we would prefer it not to be to expensive. Thanks already !

• Reply Natalie June 2, 2018 at 2:24 pm