How to Take a Taxi in Rome (Without Getting Ripped Off)

How to Take a Taxi in Rome (Without Getting Ripped Off)

Ok. That’s it. I’m done with getting ripped off by taxis in Rome. The situation has gotten particularly bad at Ciampino Airport, but there are certain things you should know about calling or hailing a taxi in Rome regardless of where you are in the city.

taxis in Rome

I have already written about how much a taxi from the airport to Rome should cost:

€30 from Ciampino airport to the city center

€48 from Fiumicino airport to the city center

How do I know that? Because it is LITERALLY WRITTEN ON THE DOOR OF THE TAXI.

But there is a gang of drivers at the Ciampino airport entrance who try to charge at least €40 to take you to Rome. That. Is. Ridiculous. And it makes me so angry because what a way to introduce people to Rome – rip them off right from the start.

the set price of taxis from Rome airport displayed on taxi door

So, here are a few things you should know about taking a taxi in Rome, not just from the airport but around the city as well:

Rome Taxi Guide

1. Official taxis in Rome are white and have a Roma Capitale logo with the taxi number clearly displayed on the front door. Only take these. Now, let’s focus on how to avoid getting scammed by the official taxis:
  2. The price from the airports to Rome and vice versa is set. It is not negotiable. If you are staying outside of the city walls, you will be using the meter instead. Check with your accommodation ahead of time to confirm if you fall into the fixed rate zone if you are unsure.
  3. Every taxi driver has a taxi license number on the back of the cab as well as inside the back door. The little plaque as includes their name. So, if you are having trouble, write it down and ask for a receipt when you arrive at your destination. You can report issues with this form.
  4. When you are in the city, cabs are not really supposed to stop if flagged down. They sometimes do, but your best bet is to find a taxi rank.
  5. Getting in the cab at a taxi rank will also save you money. If you call a taxi, the meter starts from wherever the taxi is sent from. It is a stupid system because the cab arrives with extra time already running but this is Rome and so that is how it works.
  6. During the day, the meter starts at €3.25. At night (after 10 pm), the starting rate on the meter doubles to €6.50.
  7. If you need a cab to come to pick you up, or if the stronzi (@$$holes) at Ciampino are giving you a hard time about the rate, then call the taxi dispatcher directly. That was we did. The biggest company is Radio Taxi and the number is +39 06 3570
  8. Do yourself a favor and download MyTaxi. The taxi app allows you to order a taxi directly to your location without having to speak to a dispatcher in Italian. It will send whichever taxi is closest from any official company.  The app should also track the route, so there is less likelihood of the driver taking the long way home. Finally, you can also add payment information to the app to pay with credit card or Paypal, however, you can also pay with cash when you reach your destination. Up to you. Just keep in mind that the meter starts from wherever the driver accepted your request (see point #5 above about how taxis in Rome work). So if the app shows that the driver is far away, feel free to cancel and retry. [If you want to save €5 off your first trip when you pay using the app, you can use the code sara.whi]

I am a total MyTaxi convert now and I like that it works for more than just taxis in Rome – it can also be used in several other cities and countries.

Don’t have data while traveling? I would still suggest downloading the app. Ciampino airport has free wifi so you could always pop inside and use the app to call the taxi if there are no taxis waiting.

MyTaxi app Rome

Speaking of apps, Rome does have Uber and I do use it occasionally. The rate to Fiumicino airport is about €65 if I remember correctly.  However, I have noticed recently that Uber prices have gone up and that surge pricing is more common.

For another airport transfer option, consider Welcome Pickups. Welcome Pickups charges the same price as a taxi but has a driver waiting for you. This is what I personally use if I am going to are from Rome’s Fiumicino airport. I also send a Welcome Pickup to get my parents whenever they fly in so that they don’t have to deal with public transportation or taxis. Plus it is all pre-paid and pre-booked. You can read Jimmy’s review here.

Natalie

Natalie is a food and travel writer who has been living in Rome full time since 2010. She is the founder and editor of this blog and prefers all of her days to include coffee, gelato, and wine.

• Natalie
      Author
      August 3, 2017 / 7:44 pm

hahaha fair 🙂

1. Brian
    September 25, 2017 / 10:28 pm

Welcome Pickups quoting 44 for trip from CIA. As oppose to the taxi still at 30.

• Natalie
      Author
      September 26, 2017 / 9:26 am

Ciao Brian – you’re right! In that case I would suggest booking a taxi. You can call 06 3570 for Radio Taxi, or use an app like myTaxi to ensure the €30 rate.

The taxis which wait at CIA are colluding and usually refuse to give the €30 rate — even though it is printed on the door as the fixed price! If you call the dispatch directly, however, you are guaranteed the price.

2. James
    October 9, 2017 / 2:00 am

Is tipping on top of the €30/€48 fare customary and/or expected? If so, is rounding up to €50 on the €48 proper… or is it an extra €10? (What about shorter, say, €15 fares on the meter?)

Or should I be a good boy with my euros and just take the train & tram from the airport? (Is luggage allowed on the #8 tram?)

• Natalie
      Author
      October 9, 2017 / 7:58 am

Hi James! €50 would be PLENTY. For tipping taxis, round up to the next euro at most. Here’s a little guide to tipping in Italy.

3. Carlos Mahoney
    March 11, 2018 / 2:09 pm

At the airport, go to the taxi stand. Otherwise, you may be scammed. Our unfortunate experience is below.

When we left the secure area at the airport, we were immediately approached by a man claiming to be a taxi driver. We were exhausted and thought he was legitimate. When I asked him how much to the train station (I expected around $50 euros), he said it would be on a taxi meter. The man took us to an unmarked car with another driver waiting and we were driven to the train station. On arrival, the meter showed $170 euros! I paid him and turned my back to grab something I dropped. He then claimed I was $40 euros short. I begrudgingly paid it but later verified that he scammed me. Beware of unofficial taxis!

• Natalie
      Author
      March 11, 2018 / 5:03 pm

Oh NO! And agree- if you are going to take a taxi, always make sure that it is an official white taxi. (I have also heard of the bill switch scam as well). So sorry this happened to you in Rome!

4. Carlos Mahoney
    March 11, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Thanks, Natalie. We are otherwise enjoying Italy and not letting this unfortunate experience bother us.

• Natalie
      Author
      March 12, 2018 / 9:04 am

That is a wonderful attitude! Enjoy the rest of your trip to the fullest!

5. Nick
    March 20, 2018 / 7:15 pm

Hi Natalie,

Would you say MyTaxi is still the best way to go? I’m bringing my parents over for a week-long holiday in April and since they’re not in the kind of shape to walk everywhere, we’ll be hailing rides a lot. Not keen to join the ranks of the ripped off.

• Natalie
      Author
      March 21, 2018 / 4:50 pm

Hi Nick! I find that the MyTaxi app works really well and I use it a few times a week. There is also itTaxi.

6. Brenda
    April 7, 2018 / 4:40 pm

MyTaxi gives a range of what the fare should cost. Do you find that range to be accurate?

• Natalie
      Author
      April 7, 2018 / 6:01 pm

Yes, but it is sometimes underestimated because I don’t think it takes traffic into account all that well

7. Alex
    May 1, 2018 / 3:22 pm

Hi everyone!
    Arriving at Ciampino Airport next week around 8:30pm. Have an Airbnb near the Colloseum, wondering what the best method is to get there? myTaxi or UBER? Or just straight up Taxi? I appreciate any input you guys may have.

• Jono Italia
      June 27, 2018 / 7:53 pm

Have your airbnb host call a pickup for you.

• Natalie
        Author
        October 24, 2018 / 2:56 pm

True! Or hotel.

8. Jaremy
    July 5, 2018 / 12:43 am

I’m going to be going to FCO from central Rome in November. My flight leaves at 7:30 AM, so I was thinking about leaving from my Airbnb at around 4:30 or 5. I’ve read that It Taxi is a better app. Do both of these apps charge the standard 48 euro fee for airport drop offs or should I be careful?

• Natalie
      Author
      July 9, 2018 / 1:41 am

ItTaxi is the app for the taxi company 3570 which is the largest in Rome. I’m not sure why I prefer MyTaxi – the interface is better, I suppose! But yes, both charge the 48 euro fee!

9. Maria
    July 16, 2018 / 1:39 pm

Sorry in case of repeated postings, seems my message does not come through.
    I came across this blog looking for information on mytaxi app in Rome. Have in mind that you can use a promo code for 10 € for your first trip paying via the app, just ask your driver. I think this info should be included in the article. Sadly I was too quick to use the code given here for 5 € that sends the money to another person. There are also other codes available when you search online even for up to 20€, tricky part is that it is always for your first trip. I write this cause maybe somebody else looking for info might find it useful!

• Natalie
      Author
      July 18, 2018 / 1:20 pm

Hi Maria! Good advice! The codes change constantly, so it is always possible to check with the driver. For example, the personal code used to be worth €20 as well so it depends on the promo that MyTaxi is offering at the exact time of travel.

10. Kavi
    July 25, 2018 / 8:49 am

We are here in Italy and the cab experience has been horrible, in Naples Rome and Florence ( so far) they charge you random supplements, example we are a family of 4 so there is a supplement of 2-3 euros, night supplement at 7 pm, it’s exhausting, they just rip you off, will understand English when they want to. And will take the longest routes, ( we had our google maps and they had reason for everything) they are rude and I
    wish Uber makes it here.

• Natalie
      Author
      July 25, 2018 / 9:28 pm

I’m sorry to hear all of that! Uber is available in Rome and Milan, and I recommend the taxi apps.