A Weekend in Sorrento

A few weeks ago, we caught the 10 am train to Naples (because the 9 am was sold out- buy your tickets early, people! 29 Euro to get there in 1 hour 10 minutes)

After a walk through the fish market and impromptu used shoe sale to get pasta fritta, we endured a long wait at Da Michele for the best pizza marinara in the world.

By 3 pm we were waddling down to the port to catch the ferry to Sorrento, turning down an offer to buy an iPad out of a plastic bag on the corner.

We arrived in Sorrento and once I caught my breathe from the brutal stair climb from the port to the town, my first impression was:

“Damn, Sorrento is touristy.”

But it’s also quite beautiful.

We were actually staying in Seiano, a town just a few stops away on the circuvesuviana.  The view of the bay and Vesuvius was refreshing after our Rome-Naples-Sorrento day.

The next morning, we started the day in Vico Equense, which I preferred to Sorrento.  It was filled with locals headed to the beach.

But for our last lunch we did go back to the Sorrento track down Inn Bufalito, for cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.  Because really, what are you doing in Campania if you aren’t eating cheese? That would be ricotta di bufala with chestnut honey, mozzarella di bufala, and bufala bocconcini.

Add some rosemary and garlic focaccia and don’t bother ordering anything else.

This is a doable (but tiring) weekend trip from Rome, but it’s worth heading south to see the rest of the Amalfi coast.  Don’t believe me? Check out Gillian’s posts on her time in Positano.

• Reply kim July 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

Loved the photos – all so picturesque. I especially liked the one of the walkway leading to the sea. It makes me want to follow it and see where it leads. And did you say Cheese and focaccia? I’m in!!

• Reply LindyLouMac in Italy July 30, 2012 at 5:36 am

The region is certainly heaven on earth with the stunning scenery, this coastline is one of my favourites.

• Reply Christy July 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thank you for a wonderful post! I was working in Campania this summer and we spent several of our days off in both Vico Equense and Sorrento, so this brings back pleasant (very recent) memories! I also went to Bufalito and was happy to find that it wasn’t all tourists (a challenge in that neighborhood), and they do have great antipasti. Agreed that Vico is better. I wish I could go back right now!

• Reply rinaz July 31, 2012 at 11:39 am

So purdy!

Cart and I didn’t have the patience to wait for Da Michele, in the end we headed to another pizzeria, where the pizza was still to die for anyway!

• Reply L'americana July 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Which one did you end up at? I wandered over to Il Presidente once on a recommendation from a Neapolitan colleague, but Da Michele will always have my heart.

• Reply Gillian August 15, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Great post!

Thank you so much for mentioning my Positano/capri posts! I will be doing more Positano ones this month.

• Reply Lauren August 24, 2012 at 8:37 am

Love your pictures!

I was wondering if you could help me out.. I’m planning a move to Italy to study soon, and was wondering if it was possible for international students to work as well as study? Thanks 🙂

• Reply L'americana August 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Hi Lauren! You can work part time on your student visa. I think 50% time?

• Reply JoyAtCheapCarHire September 4, 2012 at 4:31 am

Superb Pictures. I went there a couple of years back with a group of friends but we didn’t capture the city as beautifully as you did.
    Great Post 🙂

• Reply Capodanno a Roma October 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Thanks a lot for the wonderful sharings. It is like a guide book which help me choose the place I want to visit most in Rome.