horse meat baby food

Italian Baby Food

Last week, I was assigned the task of preparing dinner for a 7-month-old baby.

Now, I am no baby expert, but I can tell you that Italian babies are on a whole other diet level from their American counterparts.  Most baby food is made at home, but it’s the kind that you buy in stores seems absolutely crazy to me.  Rabbit meat baby food, trout for babies, and last but not least- horse meat baby food.

Don’t believe me?

“Cavallo”= Horse, if that wasn’t clear based on the package illustration.

Let’s not forget two other major sources of protein for babies- rabbit and lamb!

And what child embarking on solid food for the first time wouldn’t love veal and flounder??

Since we’re in Italy, of course there’s prosciutto for infants.

To prepare this into food fit for a 7-month-old, all you have to do is:
-Take 1 jar of crazy baby meat product
-Mix with 150 ml of homemade vegetable broth
-Add three spoonfuls of semolina (cereal)
-Add 1 spoonful of fresh parmesan
-Don’t forget to drizzle with olive oil
Bon appettito!

• Reply Tweets that mention Italian Baby Food | An American in Rome -- October 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Debi Teter, Natalie Rae. Natalie Rae said: Taking a stroll down the baby food aisle in Italy. I spy veal, proscuitto and HORSE meat for babies […]

• Reply Steve October 20, 2010 at 10:26 am

What’s wrong with this? I see nothing wrong with a baby eating lamb, rabbit, horse, veal or fish. It’s all a good source of protein. Americans need to stop comparing the rest of the world with themselves. We do things differently in Europe. Perhaps if you followed our lead you wouldn’t be the most obese western nation.

• Reply jann October 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

Thank you for these great observations about Italian baby food! Fascinating!

• Reply audra October 24, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Paul- I don’t believe she was stating it was wrong; just that it was different!

Chill out a bit, and pass me a horse steak. It’s yummy.

• Reply Pete October 24, 2010 at 4:49 pm

They don’t have ‘cinghiale’? I’m disappointed!

• Reply Nadia November 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Wow, crazy! I would’ve never known they have that on the shelves!