Italian Toilets, or Going to the Bathroom in Rome

I am sorry, but we really have to talk about the state of Rome’s toilets.  I know I usually post some pretty photos of the Eternal City, but you will have to bear with me for this post.

IMG_0924

Because what the what is going on here?? How are all the bathrooms in Rome this terrible?

smiling toilet

It is like people purposefully rip off the seats.

WHY?

Oh, and do not get me started on bidets in public restrooms. The first time I saw one at my university in Rome, I lost it. Who would want to use a PUBLIC BIDET?

Rome bathroom

The whole situation makes going to the bathroom when you are out exploring Rome is truly a harrowing experience.  You never know what you are going to find behind Door Number 1.

98% of the time, there will be no seat. 75% of the time there will be no toilet paper.

Rome toilets

Then comes the true fun of figuring out how to flush the thing.  Button on the wall? Button on the floor? Chain pulley from the ceiling? Plunger on top of the water tank?

And I thought Italian plugs were confusing

Fiumicino airport toilet

So what are my pro tips for a pleasant pee in Rome if you are out all day sightseeing and hydrating?

1. Walk into the first luxury hotel you see like a boss.  Your best bet is to pass for guest and bee line for the bathroom that they always have on the ground floor.  However, if you can’t easily spot it, casually ask where their hotel bar is, like you just need a cappuccino or a glass of wine.  The bathroom will either be back at the bar, or you can ask the barman.

2. When all else fails, McDonald’s.  For God’s sake, do not order food there. Just use the facilities and the free wifi as necessary. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

32 thoughts on “Italian Toilets, or Going to the Bathroom in Rome

1. Pingback: A Weekend in Nice, France – An American in Rome

• Terri Lee says:

Natalie, as usual, you are spot on! I am bringing 3 girlfriends to Rome at the end of May and had to warn them about the bathroom situation. I cannot figure out why they let this happen. I mean, they have to use those same bathrooms, right? I am now a seasoned Rome vet and have no problem using the toilets in hotels. I’ve yet to be stopped. And don’t worry, we won’t be eating at the golden arches.

• Natalie says:

My friend Livia made the same point! I think to me, I expect these to be bad. Whereas when I am at a nice place and I walk into the toilet for a surprise.. the shock is stronger. I still stand by the hotel tip!

2. Stan CarVoyager says:

Great article! The topic is so fresh (no jokes) and original.
    Bad condition of the bathrooms is very common in such densely populated cities like Rome, which is also extremely popular among tourists.
    However, the situation with bathroom, for example, In Asia is even worse – sometimes it’s impossible to find a bathroom in acceptable condition.
    Also, the trick with McDonald’s/Burger King etc. doesn’t work there (in China, for sure) – there are no toilets in fast food restaurants.

• Danilo says:

Julia actually the restrooms in Termini station are all supervised by cleaning staff you pay 0.70€ or 1 € and they are all clean so there are not like the toilette that you find in a public bar or fast food! You were lucky!

3. Orcagna says:

I haven’t been there in some time, but there used to be a tiny bathroom just off the sacrestia in Il Gesù. It was old but very clean and fully functional, including paper. Trust the Jesuits to come up with a pragmatic solution…

4. Crystal says:

Someone told me that one of the reasons that the toilet situation is so bad is because Asian tourists stand on them to squat and that breaks the seats really quickly. But if that’s the case, why isn’t there the same problem in so many other cities?

• Natalie says:

I really really think this is hometown situation. It has to do with the idea of what is clean, and toilet seats are classified as ‘not clean’ so they remove them…

5. Pingback: Things That are Weird in America after living in Italy for 6 years – An American in Rome

6. Andriana says:

I live in Sicily and often encounter public or restroom toilets without toilet seats! It’s so annoying, I had never heard that it could be because of Asian tourists standing on them and breaking them. Is that really why they aren’t there??

• Miguel Palacios says:

No- i lived with a man from Taiwan, i kept finding foot prints on the toilet seat and was bewildered until i realized he was standing on the seat. full weight on an adult will break most seats.

7. J Chrisrina says:

In my travels I’ve found pretty awful bathroom facilities too. In my day pack I keep some emergency bathroom supplies in a zip lock bag. You can find travel size items like seat covers, mini/individual packs of TP online (useful if there’s even a seat). Like you, I hit the good hotels.

8. Fabio says:

As a man there is an added layer, the fact that few seem to be able to point their little thing at the right direction. I have been asking myself many times how that happens and how to improve. Maybe we should all start including the toilet situation in our reviews of a place ? Maybe you Natalie want to start with a 0-10 scale, at the end of the restaurant article ? 🙂 don’t know…just a way to push owners make it better.

9. Bridget says:

Just returned from a month of travel in Italy. The best tip I can offer is that you buy toilet seat covers and take them with you. AAA has them in packs of 10. Amazon probably has them also. I felt like a pretty savvy traveler when I encountered my first Italian toilet that had no seat at all as I whipped out a travel seat cover and put it directly on the toilet. I felt a bit foolish when I bought them, but in country I quickly changed my mind. Hope this helps someone.

10. Gino says:

I think this is a world problem. I have been to many toilets all over the world in OECD G8, rich countries and other countries. It really depends where you go.
    In Japan, South Korea I came across some shocking toilets in remote or poorer areas, but mostly found very clean toilets with cleaning ladies in them. some had no paper many did in tourist areas, museums, buildings etc.. outside public toilets its really hit or miss..
    thailand too! the land of malls! plenty of malls in thailand to find a toilet.
    Australia, New Zealand, USA, again its hit or miss.
    now.. why do some toilets have broken seats? I dont think because asians break them.
    a seat wouldnt break by standing on it, because under the seat is a base. and that picture above has a seat made out of cork, not plastic, I think the reasons many toilets are damaged is because of drunken, drugged up, and hooligans who just deliberately smash them! like graffiti all over the cities. its done by stupid idiots.
    We cant have toilet paper in toilets because some poor bastard will steal them all. steal all the soap and towels..
    its a shame really..
    Because going to the toilet is of of the most important human needs and countries, societies, towns just leave it in these horrible 3rd world conditions.

11. Lauren says:

I’ve only been in Rome for 3 weeks and have several toilet pictures already also. The worst is that you have to pay .60 euros for the bathroom at the bus station at Tiburtina and I’m not even sure how to use it.. it was basically a hole in the floor.

12. Camille says:

The last time I was in Rome, 16yrs ago there was NOT this missing or broken toilet seat issue! Now I’m here again, and it’s EVERYWHERE!!! What has changed? Makes it really hard to use a toilet after walking all day on cobblestones streets and all you want to do is sit for a few minutes to go!