How to Get a Permesso di Soggiorno in Italy

The paperwork in Italy is never done.  No. Really. Never done.

In five years, I have never written about how to get a permesso di soggiornio because just thinking about it gives me chest pains.

However, the process is slowly getting better and it remains one of those necessities of life in Italy as a foreigner.  Many permessi expire on 12/31 (or at least mine always do) so it seems like as good a time as any to try to wade through the process.

permesso

Here is how you can get your very own Permesso di Soggiorno (Italian permit for stays longer than 3 months):

Within 8 days of moving to Italy, you have to apply for your permesso. This is because you have to convert your visa (which grants you access into the country) to a permit of stay (which allows you to actually stay in the country).

1. Go to the Post Office (ugh). You have to go to a Post Office with a special window called a Sportello Amico. A list of these is available on the Poste Italia website.

2. At the post office, take a number. In Italy, the post office is used to paying bills, banking and sending packages in addition to applying for immigration status. Go figure. Anyways, make sure you take the right kind of number. You want an T ticket.

Italian post office ticket

3.  If you don’t feel like waiting, and have no shame because like me you have lived in Italy long enough to know that waiting in line is for suckers, you can try to jump the queue and ask for a kit. That’s right, it is called a “kit”. You literally just need to pick it up and leave so the people behind you in line should not be too mad.

4. Don’t panic when the post office is out of kits. It happens all the time. Your best bet is probably going to another post office rather than waiting for them to restock.

5. Get out a dictionary, open the kit, and start filling out forms. Oh my god, the forms! It is almost laughable how complicated it is. Again, do not panic. No one really knows how to fill them out. Do your best! I have never been corrected at the questura (immigration office).
DO NOT sign the form. You will do that when you go back to the post office.

6. Copy your passport. Yes, all of it. Usually, they will throw all the paper away when you have your actual appointment, but sometimes they scowl if you try to put in only the picture and visa pages.

7. Copy any documents about why you are in Italy. For school? Bring a letter from your university with the dates of your enrollment. Work? Include a copy of your contract.

8. Get proof of health insurance.

8. Go to the tabbachi and buy a bollo.  This is a stamp with a monetary value that they will affix to one of the forms at the post office. The price keeps changing so just show the form at the tabbachi and they will be able to give you the right version (it currently costs €14.62). Not every tabbachi has the machine to print bolli so don’t panic if you strike out. You always need a plan B in Italy. Just move right along to the next tabbachi and try again.

9. Take your forms, photo copies and bollo back to the post office. This time you really do have to wait in line. Make sure to bring your passport with you in person. Here, you will need to pay the fee for the permesso (varies depending on length of validity but is 107.50 euro for most common 1 year version), then you will have to pay the post office 30 euro- just because.  Then you have to pay 27.50.  Just because you are applying digitally.

10. Get your appointment! Congrats! Once everything is accepted by the post office, you will get a piece of paper that looks like it was printed in 1988 and some receipts. Do not lose these. This confirms the day and time that you must be at the immigration office. It is also your proof that you have applied, and you should technically carry it with you if you travel outside of Italy before you get your handy PdS card.

11.  Wait.

The waiting time for the appointment at the questura (immigration office) has gotten a lot better. I think I waited two months for the my first appointment in 2010, but the most recent wait between application and appointment was only about 3 weeks this time around.

12.  On the appointed day and time, take your receipt from the post office, your supporting document copies (school letter, work contract, etc), your passport and 4 Italian passport sized photos to the questura.  You can find machines that take photos like these for about €5 all over Rome, and especially at metro stations. Worst case scenario, they also have these photo machines at the main Rome quester.

13. If you are in Rome, you can get the Rome questura by taking Metro B to Rebibbia. When you exit the station, turn right and look for the bus stop for bus 437.  The bus will say Immigration Office and be full of non-Italians.  The drive will take about 15 minutes, and you can exit when nearly everyone else on that bus (also carrying paperwork) gets off. It looks like this:

Questura-di-Roma-Ufficio-Immigrazione

14.  When you get the questura, be prepared to wait and throw some elbows in line. The officers will call your time and have you line up, but they will likely be running behind schedule.  There are chairs to sit in but wrap up if you are going in winter and bring water/a snack in case you are stuck outside for awhile.

15. Once inside, you will go through a quick security screening.  Upon entering, you will then pickup the folder of documents you dropped off at the post office by showing your receipt.

16. Then you wait some more.  The Rome questura has vastly improved and now has screens that will flash your name and the number of the desk you are meant to approach when it is finally your turn.

17. The interview should be pretty short. Having basic Italian will help you a lot.  Mainly, the officer will go over the information with you, check your documents and take your finger prints.  They will also ask you where you want to pick the permesso up, so be prepared to name a police station near your house.

18. Go home and wait some more. The permesso should be ready in 30-45 days and you can then go pick it up at the police station nearest to your home.  Check online with your id number to see if it is ready, or pass by the police station to see if your name is posted outside. Remember to bring your passport and your receipt!

19. Revel in glory for a few months until it expires, and then start the process once more.

More information is available on the Portale Immigrazione in Italian.

Don’t worry. It won’t be pleasant but it will be fine.

• Reply April December 30, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Excellent! Just wish I had this last week when I went to my Questura appointment. I arrived 15 minutes early and they were 3 hours behind schedule. Fun time freezing, starving and being bored. Wish I had a book.

• Reply Natalie December 31, 2015 at 12:14 am

The waiting is the worst! Morning appointments tend to be more on time, but by afternoon they are always running behind schedule. I still always go at the appointed time, just in case. A book and a snack are always advised! Hope it all went well!

• Reply Sophia January 20, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the info! Can one travel to other Schengen countries while the permesso di soggiorno is being processed? I would like to make a few weekend trips outside of Italy if possible; however, it seems that it takes forever to receive it. I’ve tried to look for an answer everywhere but seem to be getting nowhere!

• Reply Natalie January 21, 2016 at 7:40 am

Hi Sophia! I will give the answer as well as I understand it: yes. You should be able to travel, but take all the receipts that you are given at the Post Office as proof that you have applied. PdS are only issued for trips of 90 days or more, and if you do register within 8 days of arriving, you should get your PdS within the 90 days. In that case, you will also still have a valid Schengen visa in your passport for any trips.

• Reply busra July 18, 2017 at 7:05 pm

i am also in same situation and second time i applied for permesso di socciorno..and i want to take a flight from sofia to Istanbul. but i want to be sure about that with receipt from post office, can i go to sofia or not. just for transportation from sofia to Istanbul.
        i from Turkey thats why no need to take visa to turkey just i have a problem for transportation to sofia.

• Reply Emerald Allen January 22, 2016 at 8:50 am

I am a type 1 diabetic. At what point in the visa/schengen/permessio process can I apply for national healthcare?

• Reply Natalie January 22, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Hi Emerald, as far as I understand the process – it is the opposite. You would not qualify for national healthcare and so would have to prove that you are covered by private health insurance in order to apply for the visa/permesso.

• Reply Pam Saylor February 26, 2016 at 12:19 am

Love this information! Our goal is to live in Italy for a year, strongly leaning towards Rome. If you have any recommendations for best neighborhoods to get in (or stay out of) any tips will be helpful.

• Reply Natalie February 26, 2016 at 7:02 am

I am biased because I love my neighborhood Testaccio. I would recommend considering public transportation options and connectivity when you think about neighborhoods unless you are going to get a car! So a neighborhood with a metro line- or do you want to be near a train station? Etc. I am sure you will love where you end up! Happy planning!

• Reply Holly May 25, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Garbatella and Monteverde (also Monteverde Vecchio) are quite nice. Monteverde has the added benefit of being on the Tramline which is one of the most reliable forms of public transport in the city! 🙂 Garbatella is on Metro Line B – a few stops on from Colosseo. Also well connected by road/buses (by the Cristoforo Colombo). I used to live in a neighbourhood called Tor Marancia (near Garbatella) – good local character, slightly outside the city wall. Bit quieter but still reasonably connected (though sometimes a long wait for the bus…)

• Reply Emily Leaphart May 5, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Thank you for this post! Fantastic information!

I’ve been wondering for years how one can move to Italy (Rome, specifically). Obviously it would help with the paperwork to have a job in the city, but tell me– Is it possible to move to Rome without marrying an Italian or having employment already lined up? To just take the plunge and move there– plain and simple?

Or, put a bit differently: How lenient are the officials in granting a permesso di soggiorno to someone who is in the process of looking for employment? And how many times can one renew?

I’m making it sound like I’m looking to be a total loafer or Cosmo Kramer in Italy (I’m not, I promise!), but I’m just trying to gauge the minimum required for a big move from the states. It’s all such a mystery to me, and most expats I’ve known have all married an Italian!

• Reply Natalie May 6, 2016 at 7:58 am

Hi Emily – so glad you found the blog useful.

I think they question you are asking is probably more about visas than about permessi di soggiorno. Your type of PdS is tied to the type of visa you get, and you have to get the visa first then within 8 days of arrival you apply for the PdS. It is the visa that will determine if you can or cannot work.

For student visas, you can work 20 hours/week and you can look for that work once you get here. If you are EU, you don’t need a visa, you simply need to register once to come to Italy and you can also begin looking for work.

If you are non-EU, you have to get a visa that allows work, or no employers can hire you legally. They might offer something ‘in nero’ or under the table, but that will likely be low wages and might get you both in trouble.

If you already have permission to work in Europe, take the plunge and you can figure it out and apply in person here. Without permission to work, you will probably need to find the company that wants to hire you first and then apply for the visa through them.

• Reply Emily Leaphart June 24, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Thank you so much, Natalie!!

(I apologize for my delayed response– I only now saw that you had responded forever ago!)

That makes things much more clear for me. It turns out I’ll be likely attending school in either Florence or Cremona (post-grad studies for music performance), so it’s good to know that I’ll probably be able to work even a little bit– that is, if I can find a job in either place. And also understanding, of course, that nothing is ever so simple :).

• Reply Kaitlan May 11, 2016 at 6:18 am

Hi again
    I’m wondering what you meant at the end of your post by “start the process over again” after a few months. My understanding was the permit could last up to a year, is that correct? I couldnt tell from the tone of your writing if you were just exaggerating a little, or if I’ve been misinformed and it really does only last like.. 6 months ish.
    Thanks!
    Katie

• Reply Natalie May 11, 2016 at 7:14 am

Hi Kaitlan,
      The PdS is usually valid for 1 year. However, you start the process after one week in Italy, and get an appointment that is about a month in the future, then you have to wait 45 days for the permesso to actually be issued. So by the time you have the permit, you have been in Italy for about 3 months (or more). Then, you have to renew it in advance. So it is valid for one year, but that year is eaten away by many of the steps.

However, if you only have a visa for 6 months, then the maximum amount of validity of your permesso is 6 months.

• Reply Ruthy May 17, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Hi Natalie,

I am in the US and want to move to Italy to work as an English teacher (I am US and TEFL certified). Which visa should I be applying for from the consulate here? Should I start with a student one and take an Italian language course on arrival while looking for a job? Or is there another type of visa I should start with? I am a woman in her early forties just looking to start a new life in Italy with no idea really where to begin. I’ve read all the blogs and can’t quite parse out which visa I need to begin the process with. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

• Reply Natalie May 17, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Hi Ruthy – I am not an expert in visas, but I do believe that you can only work 20 hrs/week with a student visa. That might be something to keep in mind if you want more permanent work. Your permesso is tied to your type of visa.

If you want to work in Italy, the best way is to have an employer sponsor you. Is there any chance you can apply to language schools to teach at before you arrive?

Sorry I don’t have more info! I just know the permesso process once the visa is taken care of.

• Reply TonyM May 27, 2016 at 12:21 am

I’ve been reading a bunch of different expat blogs and so happy I found yours! My partner and I are a few years away from retirement and sorta planning the next chapter. We thought that we’d learn as much as we could about the Italian bureaucracy(we lived in London for a while) so that when we do move the transition would be kinda smooth. This posting of yours helps a ton! Thank you for posting!

• Reply TonyM May 27, 2016 at 12:23 am

Ruthy! I’m very curious about your journey from the US to Italy and hope you’re keeping a blog! Good Luck!

• Reply 7 Things You Can Do at an Italian Tabacchi – An American in Rome June 3, 2016 at 7:52 am

[…] closer to legal immigrant status. Tabacchi are where you can buy the stamp needed to complete your Permesso di Soggiornio kit.  Rather than being pre-made, these stamps are printed on the spot so you will need to find a […]

• Reply Igli June 7, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Hi Natalie ! I am from Albania and i have found a work contract in Italy . Should i follow the same steps in order to take the permesso and do i have to apply for a visa first to enter in Italy or to travel with schengen? Thank you.

• Reply Natalie June 8, 2016 at 6:19 am

Hi Igli!

As far as I know, you need a visa. A visa is what is converted into the permesso di soggiorno. A visa is your permission to enter the country, where as the permesso is the permission to stay.

Good luck!

• Reply Igli June 8, 2016 at 9:21 am

I can enter the country for less than 3 months even thought without a visa. Anyway thank you very much for the information and it would be very helpfull if i i can contact you for more information. I would like to have your email or another form of contact . Best regards!

• Reply Nayeem June 27, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I’m a political asylum in italy recently get permisso di soggiorno .can i work with it ?
    For work permit how long may i wait ?

• Reply Natalie June 27, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Hi Nayeem– I don’t know about that kind of permesso, but it should be in the booklet. The permesso will say “per motivi di…” and then the working conditions are based on that. Wishing you the best of luck in Italy!

• Reply Denise June 29, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Can you apply for a “Permesso Di Soggiorno” if you are on a “Tourist Visa”?

• Reply Natalie June 29, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Hi Denise – tourist visas are for three months or less, and permessi are only for 3.5 months or more, so you cannot.

• Reply loulou July 24, 2016 at 3:31 pm

How are you supposed to get one then? you enter the country as a tourist and then apply right? Assuming you’re not doing this from a consulate in another country not really seeing any other way. Are you sure about you response? Are you qualified to answer the questions?

• Reply Natalie July 24, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Hi Loulou – you don’t enter the country as a tourist. You apply for a visa at a consulate in your home country. Once you have a non-tourist visa, you convert that into a permesso by going through the steps above.

It’s not possible to arrive as a tourist and then apply for a PdS. Once you have a PdS, you don’t have to keep going through the visa process, but you do need a visa issued by a consulate for your first PdS.

Hope the helps!

• Manu March 19, 2018 at 11:37 am

Hi Natalie,
            I’m curiously about the PdS. My husband is American and I am a British Citizen with Italian residency etc. we own a house here and I have the right to live here in italy. He on the other hand entered the country as a basic tourist (I.e without having applied for a visa prior to entering Italy or leaving the U.S.) so applying for a PdS within Italy is a good idea? I am just confused because he doesn’t have a visa to switch from …

• Natalie March 19, 2018 at 7:04 pm

Hi Manu – if you have residency, your husband should be entitled to a carta di soggiorno (motivi familiare)

• Reply Sam July 25, 2016 at 12:33 am

Thanks for your post I have a study visa valid for one year as I take my master in Rome however my course is 10 days every 2 months I have took to classy as now I just stay 15 days every time I enter Italy after the 15 days I leave to my home country now I have six months left on my visa my next course start on October also for 15 days but this time I wanted to stay for more than 90 days it’s ok for me to apply for stay pirmet in Italy. Thanks again

• Reply Kim August 18, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Hi,
    I understand that one needs a non-tourist visa first before applying for a permesso. However, we applied a bit late (for a variety of reasons), and so we will be in Italy up to 6 weeks before we hear about whether we get our visas or not. Obviously, if we don’t get the visas, we need to leave the Schengen area for 3 months and then return to Italy. My question is this: Do you think we should still get the kit and apply for the permesso within the 8 business days just in case we get the visa? My inclination is that we should, but I’m not sure if it’s even possible.

Also, does anyone know about getting a passport stamped in San Marino (non-Schengen) and using that method as a way to stay in Italy for longer than the 90 days?
    Thanks,
    Kim

• Reply Natalie August 19, 2016 at 7:48 am

Hi Kim,

You have to include a photocopy of the visa in your permesso application, so personally I would wait until you have it in hand.

Leaving Italy does not reset your time, but what it does do is give you those extra days. You can be in Italy as an American (and many other country citizens) for 90 days in a 180 period. So if you are in Italy for 80 days, and leave for 10, you still have 10 to spend over the next 6 months.

• Reply Sommer August 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Hi
    My partner and I have been issued a visa, we didn’t know we had to do all of this when we arrived. We don’t plan on staying in one place for long enough to do the application, have an iterview and so on. We dont have a fixed address. Is there anyway we can still get the visa. We don’t want to work, just stay in Italy for 6 months traveling. We will also travel to other countries during this time.

• Reply Natalie August 19, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Hi Sommer –

Not sure I understand… you do have a visa? It has been issued? Then you can apply for the permesso. Even for the permesso, you will need a fixed address.

If you would like to work, the right visa is necessary.

• Reply Anik August 21, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Hi Natalie, I have come to Italy through a Family Reunion Visa and I have applied for my PSD but I have a single entry visa can I come back to Italy to collect my PSD with my post office receipt?

• Reply Sofia August 29, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Hi! Thanks for all the info- super helpful! My appointment is in two days so I’m getting everything ready. I just want to make sure that I didn’t have to make copies of every page of the application (modulo1) and that I’ll be fine showing up with just the copies and original copies you mention above and that the receipt of the application from the post office will suffice?

• Reply Natalie August 30, 2016 at 7:26 am

Hi Sofia! Plus photos! And you should be set from there.

• Reply Sofia August 30, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Thanks for your quick reply! I have my passport photos ready. Just wanted to confirm I don’t need fotocopie of the modulo 1 that I
    Filled out and sent through the post office? Your post says the receipt will allow you to pick the packet up once you
    Arrive. Is that correct? I didn’t make photocopies of the actual kit and now am freaking out I should have. Also thank you so much for the directions on how to get there- I looked it up on maps and was like how the heck am I going to get there?!
    Thanks again! Also why am I nervous?! Haha

• Reply Natalie August 30, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Hi Sofia – you do not need to copy the module! They will have the copy! You sound like you are all set. It won’t be super pleasant but it has gotten a lot better. Just bring a book because you might wait outside for a bit. Good luck!

• Reply Hamadi bah August 31, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Sorry how are you guy’s doing, can you travel with your six months permes di sigorrn by flight with your home country passport???

• Reply Natalie August 31, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Hi Hamadi – that should be fine as long as the permesso is valid.

• Reply Natalie August 31, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I forgot to mention – it should be fine to other Schengen countries. Otherwise, you need whatever visa would normally be required.

• Reply Hamadi bah September 1, 2016 at 11:33 am

Thank you Natalie, thanks for the kindness.

• Reply Hamadi bah September 1, 2016 at 11:35 am

And sorry if you can please name me some of those countries it will nice,thank you

• Reply Mario Santorelli September 11, 2016 at 12:05 am

Public transit in Rome is a joke. Don’t get suckered into thinking all of Europe is an orgasmic paradise of wonderful mass transit. Although Rome is trying to improve and expand its subway system, it’s basically a
    “cross” with a fifth arm expressing to Fiumicino airport. Central Train station is a disaster of human depravity. Truthfully, Rome’s subway system is no more expansive that Atlanta’s. Enjoy the culture shock!

• Reply David Chan September 20, 2016 at 11:45 am

Hi there, I am a student in Italy, applied the permesso in June and had my fingerprinted in early July. Now I am still waiting for picking up the new one (September, more than 3 months). However, due to my study purpose, I have to move to France now, and my current permesso has its expiry date on next monday. I understand it is useless to show the brown receipt for staying in France (Schengen countries) while under renewing process, but since my passport has a visa -free travel for 90 days in France, in this case, does anyone know if I could use this for staying in France now? or at least I could go back to Italy to pick up my renew permesso after next monday (expiry date of my current permesso). Or this 90 days has a;ready expired once I stepped in the Schengen Area, which is almost 1 year before….

• Reply Natalie September 22, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Hi David – uau. That sounds like a tricky one. To be honest, I am not sure. What I do know is that the visa/permesso is meant to extend the 90 days of visa-free stay. That means the 90 days is technically built into whatever else you have, not hanging around to be used afterwards?

• Reply Hillary October 6, 2016 at 4:30 pm

This is a great piece Natalie–really thorough and a great touchstone as I wade through paperwork of our third round of permessi…I still feel that, when all is said and done, it’s so worth it, and so I plod onward. Excelsior!

• Reply Natalie October 6, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Thanks, Hillary! I am sure it will all go well for you — good luck!

• Reply Josh October 7, 2016 at 11:31 am

Hi Natalie,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I’m a U.S. Citizen with a temporary German residency that expires this year. I own a property in Italy and was thinking to spend a year there (not working). I’d like to get a permesso, but does that mean I’d have to go back to the U.S. to get a long stay visa before applying for the permesso (or to the Italian Embassy in Germany)? Or does having my German residency (VISA) allow me to apply directly for the permesso somewhow? If so, won’t I need something in my passport (VISA) for when the German one expires?

Any input appreciated! Thanks

• Reply Natalie October 9, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Hi Josh! From what I understand, if you are living legally in another country, then you can apply through the Italian embassy in that country. So it seems like your german residency should allow you to apply from there?

• Reply issa October 16, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I applied for my renewal last week and my appointment is on Dec. 14. However, I will be going home on Dec. 09 to spend Christmas holidays. I asked the guy at the Poste if I could request for an earlier appointment date, he said its the computer who automatically gives schedule. But someone advised me to go directly to the office in Rebbibia and personally request. How big is my chance here? I do not speak fluent Italian…

• Reply alice morgan simmmonds November 13, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Thank you so much!!! I have been looking at doing this recently and dreading it and here is your generous and easy to follow guidelines. I owe you big!!!

You are the best,

Alice

• Reply Natalie November 14, 2016 at 8:09 am

It is not impossible! The dread is real, but you can get through it 🙂 Good luck!

• Reply Derick November 14, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Hi, do you still need one of these if you work for the UN in Rome, Italy?

• Reply Natalie November 15, 2016 at 8:16 am

Hi Derick – you need some kind of ID. WFP, for example, will give you a carta d’identita from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while consultants at FAO have to apply for the permesso. You can check with your protocol office.

• Reply Stacey Keith November 15, 2016 at 4:30 pm

You are officially my bestest new friend. Gah! Thank you for taking the time to map this out. REALLY. You are quite wonderful.

• Reply Stacey Keith November 15, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Oh, and I do have one quick question. At any point during the process were you asked for proof of income? If so, did it have to meet or exceed a specific amount?

• Reply Natalie November 16, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Hi Stacey – when I applied for my first student visa, I was asked to show that I had enough money in the bank to support myself for the duration of my stay. I think back then it was 800 euro/month. However, I was not asked this by the time I got to the permesso application.

Good luck! You can do it!

• Reply Shawnelle Price November 17, 2016 at 6:53 pm

This helped me so much – thank you! I went to the post office today and got my “kit” – I seriously would have had no clue without this article!

• Reply Natalie November 18, 2016 at 7:53 am

Well done!! Good luck filling it out 🙂 I have to redo mine soon.

• Reply Claudia December 1, 2016 at 9:34 am

Hi Natalie. I am American. I want to live in Venezia. I have already rented an apartment for 7 months (from febraury 1st – Sept 1st.) I don’t want to work in Italy, neither study, I just want to enjoy the museums and the Venetian life style for those 7 months. I will enter, as always, with my American passport that will be stamped in my entrance to Italy. I know that I only can be in Italy for 90 days. It is possible to apply for the Pemesso di Soggiorno for stay more than 90 days?
    Sincerely,
    Claudia

• Reply Natalie December 2, 2016 at 7:05 am

Hi Claudia – to get a permesso, you will have to get a visa from the consulate in your area before you arrive. It is the visa that is converted into permesso di soggiorno.

Have a lovely Venetian adventure!

• Reply Sam December 21, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Hi Natalie,

Can you plz tell me is it possible to travel out of Italy while the permesso di soggiorno is being processed and our visa has already expired.
        Actually we are waiting for .It has been a month from the appointment date i.e questura
        but still we havent received it and are planning to go for family reunification.Is it possible.plz reply.

• Reply Natalie December 22, 2016 at 8:29 am

Hi Sam – that should be possible as long as you have all the receipts and supporting documents

• Sam December 24, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Hi Natalie,
            Thank you so much for the reply. Just enquired yesterday in questura dept in Varese and they told that the
            permesso di soggiorno has been dispatched from Rome from tuesday.Can you please tell me how much time will it take now to be delivered here in Varese.

Regards,
            Sam

• Reply Claudia December 3, 2016 at 4:56 am

Thank you, Natalie. Happy weekend.

• Reply saiba January 1, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Hi,
    I have received a sms for the date to pick up the permessio. Is it a problem if I cannot go on that particular date? Can I go the next day and check?
    thanks in advance

• Reply Natalie January 2, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Hi Saiba,

It shouldn’t be, but I’m not sure! I usually pick my up from my own questura any time after it is ready… not at an assigned time and date. The application date is assigned, but not usually the pickup date.

• Reply Wendy Reardon January 19, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Do you know if the same rules apply if you want to work for the Vatican?
    Thanks!

• Reply Natalie January 19, 2017 at 9:17 pm

That is a GREAT question and I do not know. I think they likely do, unless you live in Vatican City. If you are working at the Vatican, but a resident of Rome (as most employees are) you would still need residency permission.

However, that is nothing more than an somewhat educated guess!

• Reply Sandra February 20, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Thank You, Natalie, for the useful information!! Wonderful!!
    I am EU and if I want to live and work in Rome, do I need PdS, or I just need to make an residence ( in which of course I need a motive of residence: work or study) ?
    Thanks in advance!!

• Reply Natalie February 21, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Hi Sandra! As EU, you only need to declare residency at the anagrafa. No need for a permesso!

• Reply john March 18, 2017 at 2:29 am

Hi Natalie, what happens if my card is ready and I’m not around at that particular time to pick it?

• Reply Natalie March 18, 2017 at 8:51 am

Hi John! That is fine – they will keep it for you at the station near your home. It is more difficult to change the application appointment, but you can collect it almost any time after it is ready. Just keep in mind that you should keep the proof of application with you if you are traveling in and out of Italy.

• Reply Emaan April 5, 2017 at 7:30 am

I have schengen visa for europe.can i apply for permesso de soggiorno in italy????
    How can i live in europe??????
    I have just 45 days schengen visa.i want to live in europe.

• Reply Natalie April 5, 2017 at 11:40 am

Hi Emaan! A permesso can be granted only when a visa is 90 days or more.

• Reply Hassan gabr April 7, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Hi Natalie,
    Thank you for your post.

I’m in US holder and I’m in Italy and I’m applying for permesso but I no one want hire me or give me contract before I get my permesso, also is it easy for Americans to get the permesso in italy

• Reply Natalie April 10, 2017 at 7:50 am

Hi Hassan – the issue is not getting the permesso. Rather, you need to receive a work visa before you leave the US. It is the visa terms that are converted into the permesso.

• Reply Julie April 10, 2017 at 1:48 am

Hello natalie, please if i may i need a fast reply, is it ok to miss the appointment for the permit ?

• Reply Natalie April 10, 2017 at 7:50 am

Hi Julie – unless there is a critical issue, I would suggest you do everything in your power to go to the original appointment. Otherwise you need to find a way to notify them and be issued a new date and time.

• Reply Damien April 10, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Excellent overview!

• Reply Natalie April 10, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Thank you! Hope it is helpful!

• Reply carlotta April 15, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Hi Natalie,

Thank god for your blog, so helpful!
    I just arrived in Italy and with the easter holiday I may miss the 8 day cut off by one day. Will that be a problem?
    Also, I am studying here and my visa has been issued for 89 days (the length of the course), even though I didn’t need to get a student visa I did so I would have another 90 days to spend travelling on my schengen visa. I’m not sure I will stay in Italy more than 90’s days though – do I need to get the PdS?

Thanks in advance,

Carlotta (australia)

• Reply Chamie April 26, 2017 at 11:11 am

Hi can you give more info about this
    My son is 14+ can he enter italy now or
    Should we make a re-entry Visa.And when
    We use a re-entry Visa can we come to your
    Country and go again,how many times we can
    Use re-entry Visa.

• Reply Natalie April 26, 2017 at 11:38 am

Hi Chamie – Apologies but I don’t have visa advice. These are the steps to follow when you already have a visa for Italy for more than 3 months.

• Reply Chamie April 26, 2017 at 11:51 am

How can I get Visa advice

• Reply Daniel April 28, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Ciao Natalie,

I am an American on a long term study Visa, multi entry type D.

I just arrived back from the joys of fingerprinting for my permesso di soggiorno, haha. I have a question that seems thorougly covered, but not clear.

I’m still waiting for my first PDS to be issued, and I want to travel to Spain. Am I allowed to go to Spain directly, with only my PDS application receipt, passport, and current Italian visa?

I know I can’t connect a flight through another Schengen country, like Italy-France-Spain, but am I allowed to travel at all outside of Italy?

Thank you so much for any information!

• Reply Natalie May 1, 2017 at 11:44 am

Hi Daniel! You can travel with the receipt as proof!

• Reply Simone May 5, 2017 at 10:32 am

Hi Natalie,
    I have a similar question to Daniel.
    I applied for the pds and went to the questura for my appointment, to find out that they didnt have my kit. I was told that they would get in contact with me when the receive my kit and didn’t receive a reply. So after many phone calls, my kit may either be lost or in a different questura—Im still in the process of locating it.
    I have all my receipts showing that I’ve begun the process and a visa. Am I able to travel outside of Italy or am I stranded in this beautiful but politically messed up country?

Many thanks!

• Reply Vasanda May 10, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Hello Natalie!
    Your post is so helpful which I was looking for a month ago. I have applied for Permesso through my husband (Italian) in Calabria (South Italy). Its been more than a month I have applied in Questura. I have been checking the status of my application online, “residence permit is being processed” is the only status i have been seeing for this one month. Should I start worrying?

• Reply Natalie May 15, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Hi Vasanda! I wouldn’t worry! It should take around 45 days

• Reply Giobatta Lanfranco May 23, 2017 at 11:18 am

I guess you’ve never had to go through the hassle of US Immigration. Having lived there for many years and having been from J1 to H1B visas and finally green card, having assisted US friends get their permesso di soggiorno in Italy , i think you should revise your negative comments… Thanks for listening.

• Reply Manila ridolfi June 24, 2017 at 5:56 pm

I’m 100% ITALIAN and I never find out how simple is to get a resident permit , ( permesso di soggiorno ) I move in usa 🇺🇸 4 years ago, my mother is half american , so I apply from her to get a green card I’m 29 years old and I going to get my green card at 37 years old !! Even if you are child of American citizens and you are more than 21 years old . The time to be ” legal ” in this country is absolutely too much .

• Reply Zada July 13, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Hello Natalie! Thank you for posting about this. It is very helpful 🙂 Will I be able to pick the appointment date for the Questra? My plan is to arrive in Rome with a Student Visa, apply for Residence Permit, go to London for 3 weeks and then come back to Rome. Is there a chance my appointment date will fall on a day when I am not back in Rome? It is okay to leave Italy and come back as long as I have the receipt with me, right?

• Reply Natalie July 16, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Hello! The appointment will likely be more than 3 weeks in the future. You should be fine to travel with the receipt but check the rules of the country you plan to travel to.

• Reply H July 25, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for the very helpful post !!!! Can I travel in and out of Italy while the application is being processed ?? (without the permesso being on hand) ? Also, do they keep the passport with them while processing the application ? Again Thanks a bunch !!

• Reply Gabriel July 25, 2017 at 9:23 pm

Hello Natalie!

It seems the process is much quicker in Rome. In Milan it takes ages, mine took almost six months and I’ve seen people wait up to a year for theirs. Do you know if the process takes less time if you apply in the main city (Rome, Milan) or is it better to do it in one of the suburban comunes?

I am in a tricky situation, I go back to Milan for university on September (as soon as I get there I’ll begin the process of renewing it), and my PdS expires in October, but I want to go back home for a couple of weeks in December/January for the holidays, and if my PdS takes as long as the last time (6 months), I will have nothing but the receipt as a travel document, besides my passport. And that is the tricky part, my passport does not allow me to enter the Schengen area without a visa, not even as a tourist, and during the holidays I want to travel to my home country in South America, and I don’t think I can exit and enter the Schengen area with just my receipt.

• Reply Wes August 12, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Hello Natalie,
    I’ve been searching dozens of sites, both American and Italian, and cannot find the answer to my question. Can you point me in the right direction?
    My wife, American born citizen with Italian mother, has her Italian dual citizenship and passport. We bought an apartment in Verona in March and want to stay for six months. I am in the process of getting my dual citizenship through marriage, but doubt that it will be completed by October when we plan on going back to Italy for the winter. Will a permesso di soggiorno allow me to stay longer than three months in the Schengen zone? I’m retired military and usually fly in and out of Germany.

• Reply Natalie August 14, 2017 at 10:13 am

Hi Wes,

You can only get a permesso with a visa – so the first step would be to request a family unification visa from the Italian embassy in your country of residence now. You should be entitled to one because your wife is a citizen.

Good luck!

• Reply Chris September 12, 2017 at 12:36 am

Hi Natalie, first off GREAT site! I have a question — Is it possible to obtain a Carta d’identita from the Anagafe using the receipt from a PdS (actually a CdS in my specific case), or must one have the actual released PdS/CdS to get the CdI?? I’ll be establishing residence in Milan proper….. Thanks for your help!

• Reply Natalie September 12, 2017 at 8:25 am

Hi Chris! I am not sure on this one, but all anagrafe have an information desk so you might want to go directly. I imagine you probably need the actual card.

• Reply Austin September 20, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Good morning Natalie are you a lawyer

• Reply Natalie September 20, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Hi Austin – not at all! This is meant as a DIY guide, but I always suggest an immigration lawyer for specific questions or complicated cases.

• Reply Bianca October 11, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Hi Natalie,

Firstly, awesome overview! I do have a quick question though, my partner and I obtained Italian working holiday Visas prior to leaving our country however completely missed the part about having to apply for the residency permit within 8 days, so we are now well over that time limit. Are we still able to apply for this? We have been staying in hotels but are we technically still legally allowed to be in the country for longer than the 90 day schnegen rule or is that not allowed if we do not have the residency permit? Also, can we apply for jobs without the residency permit?

Appreciate any advise you can provide!

• Reply Natalie October 11, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Hi Bianca! I would go ahead and apply now. You should be able to use the receipt from the post office to apply for work

• Reply Julie May 15, 2018 at 3:30 am

Hi Bianca,

I just found your questions and was really hoping you could help me out…I have a working holiday visa valid for 12 months but plans have changed and am leaving in less than 90 days and not returning. Do you think it is necessary to apply for a permesso di soggiorno? I’m in a similar situation as yourself. How did it go once leaving the country?

Julie

• Reply Kayla October 14, 2017 at 9:26 am

Ciao Natalie,

I intend to apply to a Master’s program at the University of Bologna next spring, and I want to clarify some things about the permesso and studying abroad.

1) Is it necessary to receive the permesso before actually physically attending university in Italy? Or is it usually the case that the permesso won’t be granted until after the semester has started?

2) Assuming that the semester will begin in the later half of September, when would you recommend arriving in Italy that will give me enough time to find a place to stay? Are there websites you can recommend to help find housing? My boyfriend lives in Rome, so I have a “landing place”, but I am wondering if it is possible for me to enter Italy in advance with the student visa in order to find a place to live and get settled in.

3) On the matter of finances – I have heard that in order to receive a visa/renew one’s permesso, one must have proof of sufficient personal funds, totaling somewhere around $6,600 USD as of August 2016. Not to get too personal, but were you able to save up this amount of money and survive on it as a graduate student living in Rome? I know Bologna and Rome will be different in terms of cost of living, but if you have any advice on making that $6k stretch, I would appreciate it!

That’s all (I’m sorry, I know it’s a lot) for now. I know I will have more questions the deeper I get into this, but I greatly appreciate your time and help in answering my questions. As you know, this is a huge step for me and I am so excited for a future in Italy!

Grazie mille,

Kayla

• Reply Beatrice October 23, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Hi Natalie, I live in the USA. I have dual citizenship: USA and Switzerland. Do I need a visa or PdS to move to Italy. Once I retire, I will be joining my boyfriend in Florence. I probably will not be working. Thank you in advance.

• Reply Natalie October 24, 2017 at 7:45 am

Hi Beatrice! With EU citizenship it should be no problem, but I’m not familiar enough with the Swiss immigration rules within in the EU.

• Reply Peter kojo Kodua November 10, 2017 at 9:51 am

Please,I would like to know what to do if I miss my appointment date and time due to unforeseen circumstances?
        What are my options please

• Reply Natalie November 10, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Hi Peter – I would suggest calling the questura directly

• Reply emily October 30, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Hi Natalie,
    I’ve just gone through getting permessi for myself and my family. It’s not even the first time I’ve had to do this (semi-regular sabbaticals) but it is still a huge mental burden. And I hadn’t done it in Rome before. Your post – especially the pictures – was the most helpful thing I found to help me feel ready. You focussed on the tiny details that are most nerve-wracking. Thank you.

• Reply Natalie October 31, 2017 at 11:59 am

Hi Emily — I am so glad it is helpful! I know the feelings of stress which is why I tried to lay out the steps!

• Reply Phil Cicciari November 2, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Natalie,
    This is exceptional information. Thank you. I want to make sure I have this correct. I’m a US citizen and plan on retiring early to live in Bari province. After receiving my PdS, I will apply for citizenship via jure sanguinis. I want to make sure I have this correct. Note: I already have an apt lined up for my initial arrival (approx July 2018) and I have retained a lawyer for my js once my residency is official.
    1 – apply well ahead of time for a Visa which will only be valid for the dates I applied for
    2 – apply for PdS immediately after arrival (keep the receipt!)
    3 – within 20 days of receipt of PdS, go to Anagrafe
    4 – sign the integration agreement @ sportello unico or questura

• Reply Natalie November 3, 2017 at 9:37 am

Hi Phil – my apologies but I don’t know the steps for the JS.

• Reply Dan November 27, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Hi, Natalie. What an excellent write-up!

I’m wondering about my own situation, which is that I simply want to live in Italy more than 90 days (tourism is the closest category, I suppose), but not to work in Italy. If that is the case, should I work on obtaining a longer-term visa before I go?

I appreciate your thoughts, and I’m sorry if the question has already been addressed in this very popular thread.

• Reply Ays November 29, 2017 at 9:27 pm

My question is after taking pErmesso di soggiorno do you have to get also residence from the commune.?are there different times of residences(residenza ellettiva)?
    Do you have to pay tax when you are a resident?
    Is there a minimum staying limit(180+1day) or you can come and go as you wish?

• Reply Sam December 30, 2017 at 10:18 am

Hey Natalie, I’m Australian and I have a fiance who’s Italian who is actually visiting me in just 2 days, happy new year! We are planning to get married a couple months in on her 3 month tourist visa here, if/when we get married, what type of visa do I need for Italy’s permit to stay, and will I need to do the same thing listed in your steps? And this process is repeatable how many times? Because I’ll love to stay there with her without having to leave her and be able to eventually get permanent residency through being married to her. Ive never been overseas or had a visa or anything this is all new to me but I’ll do anything to be with the one I love and hopefully won’t need to worry anymore!

• Reply Natalie January 1, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Hi Sam! I converted mine after marriage without a new visa – but I had a different visa to begin with. I would suggest being in touch with the Italian embassy in Australia just to confirm if you need anything before departure or if you can apply for the carta di soggiorno (not di permesso) once you arrive.

• Reply Elizabeth January 10, 2018 at 10:04 pm

I can’t believe the point between the post office step and the meeting at the questura is so fast in Rome! This is my first time applying, but over here in Florence it is WAY slower. I applied in the post office in August and my questura step isn’t until the end of January! Anyways, this post is super helpful and I’ve been reading it over and over in preparation for my questura appointment later this month. Thank you!

• Reply Jiten March 12, 2018 at 11:04 pm

Hi Natalie, I came to Italy one month back and going through all the nightmare. First is the language and second is the documentation and paperwork. I am still don’t understand why they need all the documents again and again though you have work permit or Visa. By the way many thanks for the blog. I am not able to understand it first the process what I am doing and for what. It is very clear after reading it. I got this blog on very right time as I am in the middle of this process.

• Reply Natalie March 13, 2018 at 9:39 am

I’m so glad that the blog is helpful! And I agree it is frustrating to always bring the same paperwork- but such is bureaucracy!

• Reply Jiten March 13, 2018 at 10:31 pm

Thanks Natalie for quick reply. To be frank I am Indian and just moved to Italy. Previously I was in chicago for years and now shifted to Turin here for work and may stay some years here. So I thought it is easy for me but the experince was very different. I first thought it is blog and accidendtly found during surfing but now reading all the pages from your site. It is really useful for me. I owe party for these articles. Anyway thanks for all the articles.

• Reply Jiten March 13, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Hi Natalie,
    Do you any article on how to get Certificato di idoneita alloggiativa from commune office. If yes please let me know the same. It is housing suitability certificate required for dependent Visa.

• Reply Natalie March 14, 2018 at 9:22 pm

Sorry! I do not know about that one. Good luck!

• Reply Lauren Stephens March 15, 2018 at 3:09 am

Hi Natalie, thanks so much for this info, I’ve been trying to research the PdS online for ages and it’s so hard to find out what you need to do. I’ll be in Milan so I hope things aren’t too different – I’ve heard mixed things about whether you go first to the post office or first to the Questura.
    I see someone has already asked about needing a fixed address – can you please elaborate on this? Do they ask for proof that you are staying at that address? I did not know this when I applied for the visa, and I was intending to travel around without a fixed address. Do you think it would raise eyebrows if I just put the name of a hostel? Thanks for your help!

• Reply Natalie March 15, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Hi Lauren, I think I had to bring the same documents that I included in my visa application. One of these was a letter from my landlord saying I had permission to live in the house. Not sure a hostel address will work at the appointment itself.

• Reply Lauren Stephens March 16, 2018 at 6:21 am

Hi Natalie, thanks for your speedy response! I didn’t have to include any residency info when applying for my actual visa. I will continue to research and hopefully find an answer! Thanks

• Reply Sandra nsiah March 19, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Hello Natalie, do you have an idea how long it takes the questura to issue “carta di soggiorno di familiare di un cittadino dell’unione”? Thanks

• Reply Natalie March 19, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Hi Sandra – I have this now and I think once all my documentation was approved, it only took about two weeks before I was able to pick it up at the questura

• Reply Tracy April 14, 2018 at 11:35 pm

Hi Natalie – best info I have been able to find – so thank you. Question on the health insurance. I just applied for an elective residency visa and expect it to be approved. I realize I must register with PdS within 8 days of arrival – so will follow your steps above – the catch is the health insurance – will a long term travel insurance policy covering medical and emergency evacuation be suitable – since it appears I cannot apply for a voluntary SSN without the PdS? your thoughts would be appreciated. Tracy

• Reply Natalie April 16, 2018 at 7:01 am

Hello Tracy! Exactly – I would find the minimum insurance you are comfortable with and then apply for the SSN once you have the PdS.

• Reply Julie May 15, 2018 at 3:38 am

Hi Natalie,

Amazing blog! Thank you so much for the info.

I was wondering if you would have any insight on this issue – I have a 12 month working holiday visa issued to me. As soon as I arrived,my plans changed and realized I could only stay less than 90 days and booked my return ticket home (in which case the visa is not required). Do you think I need to apply for the permesso di soggiorno to be able to leave the country? Is it necessary? I know the permit is necessary for stays over 3 months, so it doesn’t seem to apply, but my visa says I will be staying longer.

I asked the questura who said I could just leave with my passport, but I wanted to ask whether or not the border control asks for proof of permit when leaving the Schengen area.

Thank you so much!

• Reply Natalie May 16, 2018 at 8:23 am

Hi Julie! I don’t think that is an issue at all. They would only ask for proof that you applied for a permesso if you had stayed much more than 90 days. You will be able to depart on your passport.

• Reply Julie May 16, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Hi Natalie,
        Thank you for the prompt reply! I ended up applying for the permit just in case (I was feeling super paranoid). My appointment is in October! This is a very confusing process and I really appreciate you helping all of us by sharing your experience 🙂

• Reply Lauren July 2, 2018 at 10:54 am

Hi Natalie,
    Thanks for your article. I have just completed my appointment at the Questura. Can you tell me – what is the permesso exactly? Like an ID card?
    Also, when have you actually had to use it? Do you have to show it at the airport? Are there any other places that it is necessary to show it?
    I also thought I would mention that waiting times probably vary on a number of factors, and I wouldn’t necessarily say they have been reduced in recent years. For me, I applied here in Milan (in late March 2018) and had to wait 3 months for my appointment at the Questura. When I arrived, I waited 2 hours, and then was told there was some problem and I had to come back the next day instead. I waited about 3 hours to complete the appointment when I returned. Now I am waiting a month for the actual permesso. Just thought I would share my experience for anyone reading!

• Reply Anthony July 21, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for all the great information, Natalie. I’m a bit confused though, I have read some places that you do not need a visa to apply for a permesso di soggiorno, but you can do it just with a passport. Are you saying that this would be impossible and that you 100% need a visa?

• Reply Natalie July 23, 2018 at 10:43 am

Yes – you certainly need a visa. The permesso is what converts the visa (which allows you ENTRY for a set time) into a permit to actually stay. It is not possible to apply without a visa.

• Reply Gina August 16, 2018 at 3:09 am

Thank you for your wiliness to share this information. My daughter and I are beyond frustrated with not being able to get a straight answer on the following anywhere, including from the Italian Consulate and the US Department of State. What we are trying to determine is the best and legally acceptable way for my daughter’s upcoming travel to Italy.
    Situation – going to Italy as an Au Pair – needs to be there Sept ’18-Sept ’19
    Applying for a student Visa – must take language classes = 20 hr/week
    Classes are incredibly expensive and takes half of her day 5 days a week
    She would like to only take classes Jan-end of June while Host family’s child is in school
    School can not mail Acceptance letter (regardless of duration) until Aug 20th
    This may result in Visa not getting back in time for her initial travel
    SO, can she:
    Finish submitting for her student visa for Jan-June while still in USA
    Travel to Italy in Sept, stay Sept-Dec (90 days only) with no visa
    If so, does she need to start the whole PdS process for this 90 day period, the full year- long intended stay, or not at all at this point?
    Return to USA for Holiday (2-3 weeks), take possession of her Student Visa
    Travel back to Italy Jan-June under her Student Visa
    Apply now instead, or ?re-apply?, for a PdS & for what duration if done at this point?
    Stay on in Italy After the student visa expiration date for an additional 90 days of July-Sept
    Return to USA in Sept (will this cause problems given her visa and I assume her PdS,
    if issued only for the duration of her student visa, would be expired by then?)

THANK YOU for ANY insight you can provide.

• Reply Putra October 13, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Hi natalie,
    Thanks for your article, can i apply for permesso without “the real” address ? I mean, i have a place to stay, but i dont have a contract with the landlord. So, im not “officialy” live at my apartment.
    I want to apply for permesso next monday, i really appreciate if you can reply my question a.s.a.p

• Reply Natalie October 15, 2018 at 8:51 am

No, you will need a registered contract or an official letter of invitation from the owner which states that you are allowed to stay in their home.