Fatamorgana: Gelato in Monti

Last updated on November 12th, 2015 at 04:11 pm

I’ve heard a lot about Gelateria Fatamorgana, but it’s in Prati.  Which may be the other side of Rome, but sometimes on lazy Saturdays it feels like the other side of the world.  Plus, it seemed pretty hard to catch em when they’re open.

BUT a location just opened in Monti on Thursday, and Monti is decidedly on my side of Rome.

After a warm thunderstorm on Saturday, Sunday was perfect for gelato and shopping.  I sauntered over to Monti, gave some people directions to the metro, and easily found Fatamorgana’s newest location.

The place is tiny, but I took long enough looking over the flavors that the woman behind the counter stepped away to give me a minute.

I finally decided on banana sesame and cinnamon-apple-nut.

The servings are tiny but the flavors are intense.  The banana sesame is one of the best I’ve ever had.

So after watching some hurling and waiting several hours, I decided that is was safe to go back for more.

I was no longer the only customer… in fact, I think I snagged Elizabeth Minchilli’s crate as she left?

Nevertheless, to my great chagrin, the sweet lady working behind the counter definitely remembered me and commented on my second serving.  Then hypothesized maybe I lived far away?

Yes. Very far. Almost a 15 minute walk away.

This time, I basically inhaled the tiramisu and blueberry cheesecake flavors.  Too quick for a snapshot.

It’s picture perfect piazze like this one that always make me want to move to Monti.

And great gelato is yet another tempting neighborhood characteristic, but  New York Times profile = many many hipster.

Gelateria Fatamorgana
Piazza degli Zingari, 5

• Reply Klouy May 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Ohhh i was there!!:) i lived on via degli zingari…condominio 60 yeah, great place. i miss the time spent there but i wanna come back in august for a month!

• Reply LindyLouMac in Italy June 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Just reading this makes my mouth water for gelato.

• Reply The empire strikes back II « Code Cables … from Rome June 12, 2012 at 3:06 am

[…] places to have lunch, gelato or drinks nearby, check out Revealed Rome or An American in Rome. Share this:ShareLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

• Reply Keane July 6, 2012 at 1:03 am

I tried Fatamorgana during my last night in Rome, not knowing how new this location was. It was amazing. By far the best gelato I had in Rome. The basil with walnuts and pistachio siriano were delicious.

Add to that the beautiful Monti atmosphere.

• Reply Vicki September 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Natalie, I just found your Blog about two weeks ago when I was doing some research on moving to Rome. I just love your blogs and photos. You really have given the flavor of life in Italy, both the loves and the frustrations. Keep up the great stories…I will be following your fun adventures!!

• Reply L'americana October 6, 2012 at 3:59 am

Hi Vicki,

Thanks so much for the nice note. I hope that you get to make it over to Rome soon! It can be an overwhelming place to move at first, but well worth it.

• Reply Gelato in Trastevere: Fatamorgana – An American in Rome December 21, 2015 at 8:53 am

[…] have already written about Fatamorgana in Monti, but more often I find myself in Trastevere. And I more more often find myself here because it is […]

• Reply Best Gelato in Rome – An American in Rome March 16, 2016 at 7:12 am

[…] has the best quality and flavor combinations right now. There are two central locations – in Monti and in […]

• Reply Aromaticus: Plant Shop and Kitchen in Monti – An American in Rome April 29, 2016 at 7:26 am

[…] I usually pop in for a juice or salad (at least when I am feeling virtuous – all other days I head around the corner and go straight for gelato from Fatamorgana). […]